Friday 19 November 2010

What is it like where you live?

I find the blogs I follow endlessly fascinating, not just the band and weight related but relationships, where you've been and what you bought, your work mates, what you've cooked and especially where you live.

I'm in England and therefore I'm fairly ignorant about the US and Australia (and lots of other places too!) Of course I know about the countries as a whole but I find the fact that the countries are so so big and the different states can be so so different. I read lovely lisa's blog post today (http://therestofmylifelisa.blogspot.com/) and found what she wrote about the area she lived in amazing, imagine living near Amish people and what the hell is shoo fly pie? and is it as horrible as it sounds?

So I thought that I'd ask about where you live, I envy people living in the cities but also in the countryside, some of the beautiful places you all live make me green!

Where I live

I'm originally from a town called Rotherham in South Yorkshire (very near Amanda's hubby) Its in the north of England, when I was 15 my family moved to Essex which is east of London. Paul and I moved to Rowhedge 6 years ago when I was pregnant with Isobel, we live in a modern 4 bedroom house.
Rowhedge is a nice place, it's quite small, most of the houses here are 100 years old plus. A fair amount of the people that live here have lived here for generations and a lot of them are related! We have a river running through the village which is tidal, it gets really busy in summer. We have a lovely church here, the congregation is often less than 10 people, since we have been attending a few of our church friends have passed away, such a shame. Paul is very good at getting involved, we have a regatta in the summer and Paul is normally one of the organisers.
This is the village websitehttp://www.rowhedger.co.uk/index.shtml there are lots of pictures, it's slightly out of date but worth a look if you're very very very bored!
Our village is in Colchester which is an early Roman settlement, we have a large army barracks based here and lots of lovely young yummy soldiers! This unfortunately means we have lots of bad news with the soldiers being injured or killed in Iraq/Afghanistan.
We're about an hours train ride in to London, I worked in London for years, in Canary Wharf in the east and Covent Garden in the centre, having worked there for so long I'm not that bothered about visiting that much, I normally have a good look around when I go for a fill. I think that its a great place to visit as a tourist but not so great as a commuter!

So, that's where I live, tell me all about your town!

8 comments:

  1. Great post-- I will do this soon! I will go to your village's website too one of these days. Thx Al!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a small world Allison.. I have been to Colchester, my daughter went to an abroad program therE!!! So I know what you describe.. we took the train from London, I remember being excited to see the signs at the station for Liverpool, because of course that is where the Beatles were from... I will post about where I live in the US, albeit, it is a bit of cookie cutter suburbia, with McMansions (but not really just large houses that are overpriced)as we call them. The irony of where I live is that it is 300 plus years old (not old by UK means as you do have Roman artifacts as you describe.. I remember going into the restaurants in colchester (a little dining place, where I first tasted chipotle) now this is many years ago (perhaps 10).. but still I enjoyed the visit and of course seeing my daughter..I too will whip up a blog about where I live, maybe go into town for a photo shot and post some pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that Barbara! How strange! I can't wait to read about where you live, I know that your house is gorgeous. I have no idea what chipotle is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alison! Thank you for the wonderful comment on my post!!

    Here is a real Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish) Shoo Fly Pie recipe!

    http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/shooflypie.htm

    I will write about when I live! And I can't wait to check out the web-site of your town! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lisa. The pie looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I'm completely clueless about England but want to go there SO bad! Plus, I'd kill to have a natural english accent. :)

    I live in Cincinnati, Ohio - which is a medium-sized city in the States. It's somewhat conservative here and we have two professional sports teams: the Cincinnati Reds and the Bengals. (Baseball and Football) We also have a minor league hockey team, and I often go to their games. I work downtown, so I get to see the "big city" every day even though it's nothing compared to a Chicago, Houston, New York, etc. :) I live in a suburb, cape-code style house, and my daughter goes to elementary school three blocks away. It's a pretty simple life actually. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thank you for the information. I've never been to England but I love all the history there!

    I'm from Phoenix, AZ...the land of scorching summers, beautiful winters, Saguaro cacti and 3 hours away from one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World, the Grand Canyon. We are, I believe, the 5th or 6th largest city in the U.S. but no one believes it because they've all been brainwashed by old John Wayne movies that we're the wild west. Other than just about everyone carrying some sort of gun, that's just not true anymore. LOL. My hubby works downtown and actually commutes by bus while I work in a smaller city adjacent to Phoenix and commute by car. Big highways, lots of stucco, walled in backyards (I found this very odd when I first moved here) and most people have "desert landscaping" which means rocks in their yard instead of grass. I know that seems weird.

    This was a great idea! Can't wait to read some of the responses you get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea - I'll post one day soon about New Zealand - a long way from anywhere!

    ReplyDelete